The Alley Agate Company, owned by Lawrence Alley, was very itinerant during its existence (1929-1949); it was located in four different West Virginian cities: Paden City (1929-1932), Sistersville (1932-1934), Pennsboro (1934-1937), and St. Marys (1937-1949). It may also have been situated in Salem for a time. The name of the company was almost as ephemeral as the location: in 1931 it became the Lawrence Glass Novelty Company, and in 1939 it was changed to the Alley Glass Manufacturing Company.